Upon completion of
Basic 1 – 8 workshops, skaters learn jumps, spins, footwork, and other
athletic and artistic moves in the Free Skating 1 - 6 workshops:
The Bridge Free
Skiing Program curriculum provides
introduction to a free skating program's elements - spins, jumps,
connecting movements, and footwork sequences.
No previous experience in skating is necessary. The
are designed for skaters for whom this will be their first time they
will explore free skating.
Skaters will be divided by skill groups to
accommodate skaters who have some previous free skating experience.
The concept is to build on a skater's basic ability to perform edges
and turns by adding the concept of jumping and spinning to music.
The curriculum listed is designed to help introduce the principles
involved with the discipline of free skating.
Depending of the skill of some groups, skaters may only work on one
principle for the entire allotted time during the session.
Skaters will also participate in off ice instruction to maximize the
value of the on-ice time.
- Advanced forward stroking
- Basic forward outside and forward inside edges, 4-6
- Advanced back outside three turns, clockwise and counter
clockwise, right and left
- Scratch Spin from back crossovers, minimum three revolutions
- Waltz jump from 2-3 back crossovers
- Half flip
- Basic back outside and back inside edges, 4-6 consecutive
- Forward outside and forward inside spiral, clockwise and
counter clockwise, R & L ft.
- Continuous forward progressive chasse sequence, clockwise
and counter clockwise
- Waltz threes
- Beginning back spin, two revolutions in position
- Waltz jump. side toe hop, waltz sequence
- Toe Loop
- Forward and backward crossovers in figure eight pattern
- Waltz Eight
- Advanced forward swing rolls, 4-6 consecutive
- Backward inside three turn, clockwise and counter clockwise
- Backspin with free foot in crossed leg position, minimum of
three revolutions in position
- Half Lutz jump
- Waltz jump/Toe Loop combo or Salchow/Toe Free Loop combo
- Spiral Sequence: FI Spiral, FI Mohawk, BO Spiral, clockwise
and counter clockwise
- Forward Power three turns, right and left
- Continuous backward progressive chasse sequence on a
circle, clockwise and counter clockwise
- Sit Spin, three revolutions
- Loop Jump
- Waltz Jump/Loop jump combination
- Backward outside three turn, Mohawk into three backward
crossovers, repeat three times, clockwise and counter clockwise
- Spiral sequence - Forward outside spiral, forward outside
three turn, one backward crossover, back inside spiral, clockwise and
- Forward outside slide chasse swing roll sequence, 3-6 time,
- Camel spin, minimum of three revolutions
- Loop/Loop jump combination
- Flip jump
- Waltz/Falling Leaf/Toe Loop sequence
- Alternating back crossovers to back outside edges
- Five step Mohawk sequence, clockwise and counter clockwise
- Camel/Sit spin combination, minimum of two revolutions on
- Split jump/stag jump
- Waltz Jump/1/2 Loop/Salchow jump sequence
- Lutz jump
- Axel - walk through, preparation, jump
The following internet
links have been
gleaned from personal communications
public institutions and athletic
have a web presence with information concerning team
materials are copy protected.
The limited use of the
materials for education purposes is allowed providing
credit is given
for the source of the materials.